EARCOS Workshop - Supporting Language Acquisition
Performance towards Proficiency – Assessing Authenticity of Oral Communication
When: 20 - 21 October 2018
The utmost goal for anyone to master any language is to first learn to orally communicate the message he/she wants to convey. Therefore, the first set of skills we all want to obtain is oral communication skills regardless of age groups. Language teachers want to assure that our learners are truly working toward mastery of oral proficiency in the target language. Assessment of authentic language skills provides results which will both inform us of the learner’s proficiency levels and help us to reflect on the effectiveness of our teaching practice.
This workshop intends to assist language teachers to gain deeper understanding of language proficiency development, to reflect current practice and to construct effective assessment tools. It will focus on how to develop learners’ oral proficiency while looking at the connection leading to developing proficiency in literacy – reading and writing.
Participants Learning Outcomes:
1. Distinguish between assessing performance and proficiency
2. Define language proficiency with descriptors in detail
3. Analyze evidence within authentic assessment tasks
4. Discuss and clarify how we can ensure that our students are achieving their goals
5. Explore connections between developing proficiency in oral language, reading and writing
6. Consider possibilities to apply and implement best practice in our daily teaching to nurture proficiency development
About the workshop leader
Dr. Yuehua (Susan) Zhang obtained her PhD in Curriculum and instruction from University of Nebraska-Lincoln, MED from Concordia University of Nebraska in the US and BA degree in English from Beijing Normal University. She served as an assistant professor in education at two universities in the US (Concordia University of Nebraska and Washburn University in Topeka, KS) before joining Shanghai American School in Shanghai, China as their Chinese Language Programme Coordinator in 2001. Later she served as Director of Chinese Programme, then Director of world languages at Singapore American School in Singapore. Her primary responsibilities are in the areas of professional development for teachers of Chinese language, designing Chinese Language curriculum, supervising Chinese faculty, facilitating and overseeing k – 12 Spanish program and 6 – 12 French programme, 9 – 12 Japanese programme. She has presented at national and international conferences American Council of Teaching Foreign Languages (ACTFL), East Asia Regional Organization of Schools (EARCOS), etc. and was one of the major organizers and main presenters for Association of China and Mongolia International Schools (ACAMIS) annual summer conference to provide training for Chinese language teachers from international schools all over China and Southeast Asia as well. She is one of the authors of two series of Chinese textbooks and several storybooks for students who are learning Chinese as a second/foreign language. She has mentored a great number of language teachers who are now taking major roles in many international schools all over the world. She recently obtained ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview tester’s certificate and now serve as a full time private consultant, assisting international schools in developing their world language programmes.
- The workshop will provide 15 hours of tuition over two days: October 20-21, 2018 at UNIS Hanoi.
- The workshop is available for EARCOS member schools only.
- Workshop fee: $75 USD (includes lunch on both days).
- Places are limited to 50 and will be assigned on a first come first served basis.
- Deadline for registration: 7 September 2018
- Your place is not confirmed until we receive payment and travel arrangements should only be made when you have received confirmation.