New to Hanoi?
For new families and faculty who are moving to live in Hanoi for the first time, please find below some useful resources as you start to get to know your new home town.
But first enjoy this wonderful film created by one of our Grade 10 students, Duong, not only as a beautiful introduction to Hanoi but also to the kind of learning your children will enjoy at UNIS Hanoi.
Vietnam is a country pulsing with possibilities. Living in Hanoi, the country’s cultural and diplomatic capital provides both a global and local perspective for adventure. At once familiar and exotic, life in Hanoi can embrace both street markets and international haute cuisine, traditional Vietnamese music with rock or visiting symphonic orchestras, and art from an ancient tradition with the option of the modern fusion of a developing country.
And it is as easy to discover the hill-tribes of Sapa, the tailors of Hoi An, the ancient citadel of Hue, or the commercial buzz of Saigon, as it is to travel to neighbouring Laos, Thailand, Cambodia or Burma and discover the Asian sub-continent.
Welcome to Viet Nam!
UNIS Hanoi Student Guides to Vietnam
Explore the School and country with the help of these website created for new families and students discovering UNIS Hanoi and Vietnam by our Grade 8 students as part of their Humanities coursework in 2013-2014:
Online Resources for Hanoi
- The Word - online version of the free English Language monthly magazine with features and news as well as a guide to what's on.
- The New Hanoian - Hanoi's Community-Produced Local Reviews and Answers Guide
- The Hanoi Grapevine - Online guide to events in Hanoi
- Hanoi International Women's Club - The Hanoi International Women’s Club (HIWC) is a non-profit group whose membership is open to all expatriate women living in Vietnam. The objectives of the HIWC are to promote the development of social, charitable and cultural activities among its members, the Hanoi based expatriate community, and the people of Vietnam; and to provide a forum for expatriate women to identify and discuss issues of common interest regarding their personal and professional lives in Vietnam.
- Asian Women and Friends in Hanoi - A Group of Asian and their friends who promote friendship,camaraderie, and having fun sharing their talents, skills, hobbies and enjoying cultural exchange: Contac them on firstname.lastname@example.org or on Facebook
- Friends of Vietnam Heritage - Friends of Vietnam Heritage (FVH) is a non-formal group of mainly Hanoi residents from many countries, including Vietnam, whose basic goal the preservation and advancement of Vietnamese heritage and culture, and whose purpose is to enhance and deepen the understanding of Vietnam's culture. FVH functions as a non-profit educational group.
- Hanoi's Holistic Health Guide - This guide was created for the Hanoi community, to gather together practitioners in the name of health and wellness. This is the January 2013 revised edition. All efforts have been made to ensure the correct information has been provided and that the services listed are of a reputable nature. There will be no liability accepted. Any comments, edits or suggestions can be directed to email@example.com.