Our School Profile
UNIS Hanoi is...
- One of only two United Nations schools in the world. The Principles of the United Nations are central to our identity, Mission, Value and Vision
- Fully accredited by CIS (Council for International Schools), WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) and the only school in Hanoi accredited by the IBO (International Baccalaureate Organisation) to offer the full IB programme (Discovery to Grade 12)
- A not-for-profit school. Tuition fees are invested directly in providing the highest quality education and inquiry based learning environment for all our students
- The original IB World School in Asia, and the first international school in Hanoi, founded in 1988 in partnership between the United Nations Development Programme, UNICEF and the Vietnamese Ministry of Training and Education (MoET) (see our Brief History for more)
- A truly diverse international community with 66 nationalities and nearly 40 mother tongues represented
- Non-selective for entry to our Diploma Programme, encouraging all students to excel and with a School diploma average well above the world average.
Please read more about...
Total Students: 1124 (October 2016)
Early Childhood Centre (Discovery to Kindergarten 2): 144
Elementary (Grade 1 to 5): 412
Middle (Grade 6 to 8): 250
High (Grade 9-12): 318
We have 66 nationalities represented at UNIS Hanoi. The school maintains a 20 % cap for any one nationality, which gives UNIS Hanoi a truly international and culturally diverse atmosphere.
Our teachers are from 27 different countries with 88% from UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and Canada. Class size at UNIS Hanoi consists of a maximum 16 to 22 students depending on the grade level with mostly 4 classes per grade level.
East Asia Regional Council of Overseas Schools (EARCOS)
European Council of International Schools (ECIS)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Association for the Advancement of International Education (AAIE)
Mekong River International Schools Association (MRISA)
Asia Pacific Activities Conference (APAC)
Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE)
UNIS Hanoi has one purpose-built campus with low level buildings and outside access from all classrooms. In addtion to the light,bright, large classrooms UNIS uniquely enjoys extensive recreational and sports fields and specialist facilities used by all grade levels.
Dedicated Early Childhood Centre provides a nurturing environment for our youngest students but retains access to the D-12 facilities
An extensive library and media centre with a catalogue of more than 30,000 print and multi-media resources and a range of online resources.
Full size fields and tennis courts UNIS Hanoi has plentiful green space with a 400 meter track and full size soccer fields. Three tennis courts are used for PE classes and community events.
All season swimming pools and fitness room Our 25 meter, 6 lane covered swimming pool and a child size swimming pool are heated during the winter for usage throughout the year. Students use the pools for PE classes and co-curricular activities. The UNIS Hanoi community can use the pool/fitness room outside of school hours for a minimal membership fee.
Sports Centre and Centre for the Arts Our Sports Centre and Centre for the Arts (hosts Music, Art, Drama classess and a 400 seat Theatre) offer our students state-of-the-art facilities and space for the areas of performing arts and sports training/competitions.
UNIS Hanoi students and teachers are involved in nearly 30 Service Learning activities for charitable causes. They regularly visit orphanages or hospitals and work directly with charity organisations throughout Vietnam. For more information
After School Activities
Students explore new area of interests and skill building in the arts, sports, culture and music. Students meet new friends from different grade levels and have fun! For more information
UNIS Hanoi is a member of Mekong River International Schools Association (MRISA) which carries out sports/cultural exchange among 8 international school in the region. We are also a memeber of Asia Pacific Activities Conference (APAC), an extensive programme among 12 international schools in the wider region from the Philippines to Japan. These programmes provide international experiences to our middle/high school students to improve their skills and make their friends with other schools. For more information
UNIS Hanoi is actively involved in Model United Nations (MUN). The team travels abroad to participate in The Hague International Model United Nations. UNIS Hanoi also annually hosts our own MUN. We invite schools from Vietnam and abroad to participate.
The UNIS Hanoi Aquatics Academy has two main goals – more options for all our community at all levels and improved quality in support of our curricular and co-curricular goals. The Aquatics Academy was created at the begining of 2013-2014.
UNIS Music Academy (UMA)
The UNIS Hanoi Music Academy is a resource for all our students, parents and staff to learn a new instrument, to train their voice or to improve their musical skills working directly with talented local musicians. For more information